Lussmanns has pioneered the concept of making sustainable dining accessible and affordable to everyone. Our philosophy is to combine an ethical, high-welfare, value-driven approach with a passionate commitment to providing first class food and service to every diner.
Founder members of the Sustainable Restaurant Association (SRA) in 2010 and SRA Three Star Sustainability Champions since 2012, Lussmanns has achieved year-on-year improvements across the three SRA pillars of Sourcing, Society and Environment.
In 2016 we were voted 'People's Favourite' in the national Independent on Sunday / Food Made Good Awards and described by the Independent as 'ethical, delicious and preach-free'. In 2014 and 2015, we won Sustainable Small Restaurant Group of the Year at the SRA Awards. Our efforts and achievements have been recognised by many local, regional and national awards.
Our fish supplier, Stickleback, is certified by the Marine Stewardship Council and we are the first restaurant group outside London to serve MSC certified sustainable fish and shellfish. Watch our video about this.
Diners at Lussmanns enjoy
- sustainable fresh fish, MSC-certified or on the MCS 'fish to eat' list
- British Label Anglais Red Cornish and White Rock free-range chicken
- Sussex woodland-reared free-range Saddleback pork
- traditionally matured, grass-fed, outdoor-reared beef
- welfare-driven and outdoor-bred British charcuterie
- tap water to all diners and bottled water from a 100% carbon neutral company
- organic British milk and organic fruit juices
- British tea (Tregothnan) and UK hand-roasted coffee
- British craft beer and cider
We have embedded, practice and promote sustainability by:
- having a 'no air freight' policy
- ensuring that suppliers meet our standards for ethical, high-welfare farming
- using suppliers that deliver produce in reusable crates
- having seasonal menus with an increasing percentage of vegetarian dishes
- implementing carcass balance, taking a ‘head to tail’ approach
- offering 100% recycled, biodegradable ‘doggy boxes’
- composting all food leftovers to provide energy for the National Grid
- sourcing locally hand-made, sustainable paper flower arrangements
- using ‘green’ chemicals and 100% recycled paper towels
- recycling 75% of our waste inc. cardboard, glass, paper, plastic and cooking oil
- introducing LED lighting and smart meters in our restaurants
- partnering with a national conservation charity and local charity partners
- supporting a range of charities through community events
- sharing information via menus, website, social media and newsletters
- promoting and sharing good practice with the industry
- engaging the public in the sustainability debate
In 2016 we received an overall SRA rating score of 87%, a an improvement on the previous 12 months and (in the SRA’s words) an ‘exceptional achievement’. We currently hold 100% ratings in relation to these areas: local and seasonal sourcing, sustainable fish, treating people fairly, community engagement, responsible marketing, supply chain and waste management.
Our gratuities policy: We have always believed that our staff should receive tips as an appropriate reward for providing excellent service. A discretionary 10% gratuity will be added to your bill. 100% of all gratuities go to our staff.
If you would like to apply for a charity donation, please visit our community support page.