Lussmanns aims to be an ethical and sustainable restaurant. We source our ingredients from the best welfare-driven British suppliers, manage our resources effectively, engage with local communities and minimise our impact on the environment. We are SRA Three Star Sustainability Champions (see our report) and are working to improve in these areas:
We have always been concerned with ethical sourcing - ensuring very high standards of animal welfare, keeping the pound local and championing great British artisan producers. In 2011 and 2012, we won the Independent Restaurant category of the national RSPCA Good Business Awards (see video). We use:
- sustainable fresh fish, caught in British waters using ecologically-friendly methods. We are highly rated by the fish2fork campaign for sustainable seafood and highly commended by the Sustainable City Awards.
- British Label Anglais Red Cornish & White Rock free-range chicken
- Sussex woodland-reared free-range pork
- traditionally matured, grass-fed, outdoor-reared beef
- English organic fruit juices, beer & lager
- wine from sustainable vineyards
- UK-roasted coffee, English teas & Fairtrade sugar
We are working to protect the environment by
- offering 100% recycled, biodegradable 'doggy boxes' to our diners
- recycling 75% of all our restaurant waste
- composting our food leftovers to provide electricity for the National Grid
- exploring energy efficient options like renewable tariffs and LED light bulbs
- trying to ensure that new restaurants can be built and maintained in a more sustainable way
We work with our employees, suppliers, partners and local communities to
- develop and share our knowledge of sustainability issues
- provide comprehensive staff induction and ongoing training
- support a range of local and national charities through direct giving and special rates for our event catering at our restaurants or at local venues.
Please contact us if you would like to raise funds for your charity or community group through an event catered by Lussmanns.